Thursday, March 26, 2009

Not a "Newborn" Anymore

Next week Abigail will turn 3 months and will officially no longer be labeled a "newborn." I am excited about seeing her grow and becoming more interactive, but also a little sad this special time is about to be over.

Yesterday I went through and sorted the clothes that no longer fit Abigail. I almost cried knowing she wouldn't wear them anymore... (I better get used to it, cause I'll have to keep doing this for many years) I think I successfully took pictures of her wearing all my favorite outfits so I'll always remember those first sweet days of playing dress up. I was happy to know that one of Dusty and I's fav's (the ducky pj's) will definitely be worn again by a future baby as it will work for boy or girl.

Today was another milestone for Abigail and I. I needed to go to a funeral for my friend Heather's grandma, and enlisted good friend Karen Holderby from church to watch Abigail. This was the first time that someone (other than family) babysat Abigail for longer than an hour. I started planning the visit three hours in advance to get together her diaper bag, bottles, etc.

The funeral only lasted an hour so I took my time and went to the store and then to lunch. As I ate lunch I realized that I really really missed Abigail. I was focusing on images of her in my mind and I couldn't wait any longer... I had to get back to her. Karen said she was a perfect angel and slept most of the time. As I talked with Karen she woke up at the sound of my voice and looked at me. I wanted to just grab her and squeeze her, but I practiced restraint in front of Karen. When we got in the car I felt complete again, having my baby with me. This week had been hard because she's been pretty fussy, so I think this little separation was good for us. Not only to give me a break, but "distance makes the heart grow fonder." I remembered just how special our bond is. I'm so glad I made the decision to stay home. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to leave her every day.

Here is a picture Karen emailed me that she took during their time together. I am SO THANKFUL for friends like Karen that do not just watch Abigail because I need her to, but because she wants to and enjoys Abigail so much.

But then again, who can resist that sweet face?

No comments: