Well the time comes in every mommy's life when you must step out and have that first night away from your little one. After spending an entire day away from Abigail at Schliterbahn in August, (yes I know it sounds silly but it was hard!), I decided I could handle a full 36 hours away. I had been itching to go camping/canoeing for well over a year, but with my difficult pregnancy was unable to take my annual/bi-annual trip with my Dad.
Well I decided that for several reasons I needed to take the leap and plan a trip:
1) Abigail now sleeps through the night, so she won't miss me overnight too much
2) Mommy needed a break!
3) This would be a great opportunity for Daddy/Daughter time (both ways... me and my daddy, and Abigail and her daddy!)
and 4) I no longer was feeling the responsibility of staying due to breast feeding as Abigail was now eating more solids and could take the occasional servings of formula
So I made the call to Dad back in August and we began planning our canoe trip to the Red River. I was so excited and had been anticipating the trip for months! However, I must admit that the night before we were to head out I got really emotional about leaving Abigail. During our last feeding of the night, around 10:00, I just held her tight and rocked her much longer than usual wiping tears off my cheeks. In hindsight, I think having this emotional 'meltdown' (if you can call it that) the night before helped me enjoy my trip more. I got all the tears and anxieties out that Thursday night and didn't blink back a single tear the whole time I was away.
The trips was a great escape from reality! The weather was perfect, the scenery was beautiful, and most importantly the company was memorable. I always enjoy these special times with my dad... and I look forward to sharing these experiences with Abigail when she is old enough.
When we got home Saturday night, Abigail was already asleep. She and her Daddy had a busy weekend! I went in and woke her up to feed her, and my heart melted to see how excited she was to see me, even in her half-awake state! Again I rocked her longer than usual and held her tight. A part of me was sad that there were two days out of her life when I didn't see every little thing she did... but then I realized just how lucky I am that I get to experience life with her every day. I cherish each moment with her and although I truly enjoyed my time away, I felt complete again with her back in my arms.
See pictures from our trip on Flickr!



No comments:
Post a Comment