This post is a clear sign that I am definitely getting older.
When I was very young, I couldn't wait to be old enough to drive. My favorite "ride" at Six Flags was the one where you could "drive" an old 50's model car around a track. Actually all you could do was steer, but I loved it because the car had a little radio and it felt like I was really in a car on my own. Then when I turned 16... freedom! The ability to go where I wanted to go and also have a little space of my own.
I used to love driving! I was fine on long car trips, and made several of them back and forth between Abilene during my early college days. But somewhere along the way, I lost my passion for driving. Perhaps it was the insanity of the Metroplex that did it. Perhaps it was the long commute to work. But when Dusty suggested we start carpooling to work a year ago I jumped on the idea.
After a year of carpooling, I realized after quitting work, that it has been a very long time since I was in the driver's seat consistently. Nowadays I stick pretty close to home mainly only driving to the grocery store, mall, Rachael's house, basically anything within 10-15 miles. However on the rare occasion when I do venture farther out I discover that driving with Abigail in the back seat brings forth a whole new set of anxieties. Do those big 18 wheelers know I have a precious angel in there with me?? Are those pick up trucks aware of my delicate little flower??
I've discovered that I have acquired a very real phobia. I am deathly afraid of cars changing lanes on me without using their signal. Of course this is something everyone has to be cautious of, especially in the DFW area.. but it has become MORE than a concern for me, passing cars is a down right dirty FEAR.
My 'pass-a-phobia' convinces me that as I am passing any vehicle (but especially the big trucks) that the said vehicle is going to change lanes and ram into me! After being sure of this with every car I pass, I've come to realize that if I feel this way about all the cars on the road, then it's more than likely it's an over exagerrated fear of mine. I don't know how to get over it, and frankly don't know if I want to.
Good thing Dusty is such a good driver. Perhaps this is just the "mother bear" syndrome coming out in me to protect my little cub. But unlike the bear I am more like the mother duck that gathers her duckling to hide in the brush. Oh well... like my father always says: "Safe - Not Sorry!"
So next time you are frustrated with someone going too slow or acting a little timid on the road, consider the fact that they too might be toting a tiny tot. Or... like me, they may just be getting older.
No comments:
Post a Comment