SHE. DID. NOT. CRY!
Ok, first some back story. As was before mentioned I've been reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth per Brandy's advice. The book reccomends using the "Cry It Out" method once the baby is old enough to handle it. (4-6 months depending on the temperament of the baby) We understand that this method is quite controversial and not right for all babies. However, after talking to a couple friends of mine that used "CIO" and reading some testimonials, Dusty and I decided to give this crying thing a try. We knew it would be hard but we were also convinced Abigail was ready. She had put herself to sleep before so we knew it was possible. We tried half-heartedly towards the beginning of May... but because of trips and company we were very inconsistent. Poor Abigial didn't know what to expect from us! Sometimes we'd come when she cried and sometimes we wouldn't. We were so weak.
So last Saturday we decided to take a more serious go at it. Saturday night, (as Granddad and I headed to Barnes & Nobles) poor Dusty endured Abigail's crying for an hour and a half. I'm glad I wasn't home cause I would've cried right along with her. The rest of the week went like this:
- Sunday: 45 minutes
- Monday: 35 minutes
- Tuesday: 20 minutes
- Wednesday: (doesn't really count because she was so exhausted after church, she passed out)
- Thursday: 20 minutes
- Friday: Well Friday was interesting. We learned something here. Every night after I feed Abigail, Dusty reads her book and puts her down. Friday night when I tried to put her to bed she cried and cried. I couldn't take it anymore so Dusty caved and went in there. Amazingly after he calmed her down and put her down, she went straight to sleep. She just knew her daddy was here and not telling her goodnight. (Poor Dusty felt guilty all night about this - he's vowed that from now on as long as he's home he'll always kiss her goodnight)
That's brings us to tonight, Saturday. I had to put Abigail to bed by myself again because Dusty had to go to a Cancer Benefit Concert to support a friend of his. We didn't know how Abigail would react, but thought that since she knew daddy wasn't here, wouldn't be too upset.
I put her to bed later than usual because I asked Dusty to watch her this afternoon while I took a nap. Apparently his idea of "watching" her was taking an hour nap with her on the couch. (By now you're beginning to see what a connection these two have. She's definitely a daddy's girl) :) So since they didn't wake up until 6:00 I knew she wouldn't be sleepy until around 8.
So at 7:45 we started our routine... fed, read our book, sang our song, and I laid her down. (Usually she's already crying at this point) Just like when I put her down for naps I say...
It's sleepy time, Abigail. Mommy loves you. It's sleepy time now. Go to sleep. (using the sign language sign for sleep)
Instead of crying up at me like normal, she smiled at me through her pacifer. I walked away waiting for the wailing to start. I closed the door, and went to make my dinner... still waiting. I sat down and ate my dinner... still waiting. After about an hour I felt safe to call it a success!! I haven't heard a single peep! I went to check on her and she's all curled up next to her bunny sleeping sweetly. Sigh...
Earlier this week I asked Brandy if there would ever be a day when I could put Abigail to bed without her breaking my heart crying up at me, to which she replied, "of course." It's not that I didn't believe her, but I just didn't think it would happen this soon!
I'm still in a state of shock. We've got so much more sleep training to do... but tonight showed me we ARE on the right track.
2 comments:
We did the CIO method based on the recommendation from our ped. We started at a very early age, but it worked like a charm, too! I'm sooooo happy for you all!
Post a Comment